OHIO TURNPIKE CUYAHOGA RIVER BRIDGE REHABILITATION
Opened to traffic in 1955, the twin two-lane Ohio Turnpike bridges over the Cuyahoga River valley span 2,650 ft. and reach as high as 175 ft. above the valley floor. Each bridge is comprised of four 100-ft-long girder spans and nine 250-ft-long truss spans supported by 12 reinforced concrete piers. As the use of deicing salts increased during the 1960s, so did deterioration of the concrete portions of the bridges. The original design permitted salt water to flow directly onto the surfaces of the piers. By the mid-1970s deterioration of the piers became evident. Efforts to patch the piers and divert drainage were made, but the piers had already become so saturated with chlorides that deterioration continued. In 1980, under contract to the Ohio Turnpike Commission, Howard, Needles, Tammen & Bergendoff inspected the piers and found that about 40 percent of their surface area was spalled or near spalled. Subsequently the firm recommended methods of repair to prevent recurrence of the condition, prepared plans and specifications for shotcreting (selected atlernative), and provided resident construction inspection.
This paper appeared in Transportation Research Record Number 950, Volume 1, Second Bridge Engineering Conference conducted by the Transportation Research Board and the Federal Highway Administration, September 24-26, 1984.
Transportation Research Board
500 Fifth Street, NW
Freeh, W S
Transportation Research Record
Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls
Dec 30 1984 12:00AM
More Articles from this Serial Issue: